- If you use XP Pro, follow steps 1 through 8 only. XP Home users begin at step 9.
- Click Start and then click Run
- Type gpedit.msc and click OK
- The Group Policy window will open. In the left pane, double-click Administrative Templates
- In the right pane, double-click System
- Scroll down the list and double-click Turn Off Autoplay
- In the Turn Off Autoplay Properties window, select Enabled. From the dropdown next to Turn Off Autoplay on, select All drives and then click OK
- Exit Group Policy by selecting File, then choosing Exit from the menu.
- XP Home users will need to make the changes by editing the registry directly. To begin, click Start and then click Run
- Type regedit and click OK. The Registry Editor window will open.
- In the left pane, navigate to:
- With Explorer highlighted, in the right-pane right click the value NoDriveTypeAutoRun and select Modify from the drop down menu. The base value will be set to Hexadecimal. If not, select Hexadecimal.
- Type 95 and click OK.
Note that this will stop Autorun on removable/USB drives, but still allow it on CD ROM drives. If you want to disable autorun on both, substitute b5 for the 95.
- Exit Registry Editor by selecting File, then choosing Exit from the menu.
- You will now need to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.